Tweets
Follow us on

 

Newtown Feed and Supply History

Newtown Feed and Supply is located on the first floor of the Historic Flag Spring Lodge, built in 1900 by the Independent Order of Odd fellows , No 152. The lot purchased from the trustees of Gerald lodge No 428, Free and Accepted Masons, of Newtown Ohio. This large, symmetrical, 2- story steep front gable structure is of rough sawn beam construction with hand cut scissor trusses supporting the roof and partially exposed to the lodge meeting room on the second floor, now occupied by Futures Planning Group.


 There is a large six pointed star, art glass round window within a hooded wood and copper arch frame in the front gable, with diamond shaped center pivot art glass windows on each side of the second floor . Old growth Douglas Fur wood floors and southern yellow pine bead board ceilings give the second floor lodge a warm and inviting feel.


 The Flag Spring Lodge was used by multiple business over the years after the Odd fellows relocated. A bank and post office on the first floor and women's clubs on the second floor. Foundation damage after the 1937 floods caused the stone foundation to be lowered two feet during repairs, allowing easy access for the new local grocery store and butcher shop through the 1940's. Later being used as Ferris Hardware through the 1960's and now the Feed store for the past 40 years.

 The restoration of the Lodge, done by Chase Creek Restorations, included plumbing, electrical, original woodwork and hardware rework, and reconstruction of the original custom art glass windows. New foam insulation technology and HVAC give the vintage structure a new comfort level, while maintaining the old school feel of a past era. Finishing the rework with additional floor support for the feed store inventory flow of 10 to 12 thousand pounds of custom feeds each week.